Thursday, January 14, 2010

A quick fix is not always best

Not too long ago I learned the importance of taking preventative asthma medications when I ended up in the ER on Christmas Eve as the result of an asthma attack. THIS release based on a UK study helps to further that point. Using preventative medications, while they may take longer to show the desired effects, are the best way to combat asthma. Relief inhalers, which offer almost immediate relief, can actually make asthma worse since with frequent use they can become less effective.

While living at home back in high school, I tried out a few preventative medications and had very positive results. Once I moved away for college, I ended up stopping these medications because I thought my asthma was under control. As I am now learning, it is becoming increasingly more important for me to get back and stay on these medications if I want to live a life less effected by asthma.

In the coming weeks I plan on FINALLY doing the research I should have done a while ago on the different types of medications out there and figure out which one or ones will work best for me. I'll keep y'all updated

No comments:

Post a Comment