Thursday, September 9, 2010

CHICAGO - the food post...

Hey all!

I'm back from Chicago and it was AMAZING! I can't wait to get back there again. One of the things I was most looking forward to in the Chi was the food and for the most part it did not disappoint! Want the rundown? (You have no choice.) Here it goes:

Chicago Burger Co. - probably the only food misstep in our trip, but granted it was in our hotel and we were quite tired from travelling. A word of advice - if you ever do end up here - take advantage of all the toppings they offer; the plain burger lacks a lot in flavor.

West Egg Cafe - on our search around our hotel for breakfast options we didn't find much, until someone recommended West Egg to us. We were lucky enough to snag a seat outside on a busy Sunday morning and enjoy the food and the weather. I ordered the Carl's Cool Creation which had egg whites, spinach, chicken, cheese and marinara sauce. Very unique and tasty!

Wrigley Field - I'm only including this on the food list because I tried a Chicago hot dog (minus all the fixins) The poppy seed bun is an interesting and welcome addition, and they cooked it right (on a flat top instead of on the warmers.) It might not be a NY dog, but I was definitley satisfied.

Weber Grill - Like the namesake, they really cook everything on Weber grills! I had a french onion soup and steak caesar salad - both of which were good, and the boy had a perfectly cooked melt in your mouth filet mignon. We're both glad we stopped by here.

Argo Tea - I stopped by here Monday morning on the search for a light breakfast. They have a lot of unique tea options, both cold and hot, and some tasty muffins.

Portillos - Mmmmmmmmmmmmm! Street food in a cozy atmosphere is how I'd describe Portillos. The polish sausage was crispy yet juicy and flavorful. The italian beef -- thats a taste experience I'll never forget.

Flatwater - I've read mixed reviews about it but enjoyed it a lot. The river view is absolutely amazing! And we went on a night with perfect weather. Started off with the kobe beef carpaccio, which was tasty but I would have liked a 'lil mo meat. For my entree I had the chilean seabass which had a nice crust to it but was still flavorful and light. The boy had a steak that was also cooked well.

Eleven Diner - the end of our Chicago culinary tour, which we ended up at after a long walk and getting lost. Had a cool atmosphere but was a bit pricey. A fun little place.

Want the full scoop? I'll be updating Yelp with all of my reviews.

2 comments:

  1. I was just in Chicago two weeks ago. I commented on the attractions I visited in the other posting. For food here's what I sampled:

    in Schaumburg, by the hotel:
    Weber Grill - sort of on the caliber of Sweetwater. I ordered a beer can chicken.

    Rosebud - Italian with generous portions. I only hate half my lasanga it was so humongous. And I'm normally a clean plate club kinda guy.

    John Barleycorn's - american fare. Food just ok. I think it has a niteclub upstairs and that's their main focus.

    Downtown:
    Giordanos - deep dish pizza. I thought the quality of the crust and cheese were great. But the pizza totally lacked in flavor. Perhaps my fault for only ordering pepperoni - maybe I needed to load up on sausage and other toppings.

    Mr Beef - Italian Beef featured on food network and often praised by Jay Leno. Loved my sandwich. Fries just ok. Store manager tried to push you through checkout as fast as possible. I don't think it was rude. I think it was just "Soup Nazi-esque" schtick.

    Ed Debevics - old 50's style diner. Sort of like a Fonzie version of Ben's Chili Bowl. One quirk is that the staff intentionally talks rude to you and delivers your receipt crumpled up. All in good fun...

    I had intentions to go to Portillos. I was actually hoping to find one inside of either of the baseball stadiums I went to. But it didn't work out that way... maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How was the beer can chicken? Sounded interesting! Seems like everyone I know has been going to Chicago lately. I like to think I brought back the cool windy weather to DC with me.

    ReplyDelete