Thursday, September 9, 2010

CHICAGO - my other adventures

My trip to Chicago wasn't all about eating! I did do a number of other things.

Navy Pier - the first night we were there was the last Navy Pier fireworks show of the season. I'm usually not too fond of touristy places but didn't mind the nice weather and slow paced stroll down the pier. Theres lots of vendors and things to see all along the Pier - and the ferris wheel looks pretty sweet, but I did not take a ride on it. Onto the fireworks. They were awesome! Although the show was a little short, it was set to music and was pretty awesome.

Wrigley Field - Yup, Wrigley made it onto my food and adventures lists for Chicago. Went there to see the Cubs play the Mets, and although we were rooting for the Cubs, the mets won 18-5. Exciting game. And Wrigleyville is pretty awesome. The bars near the stadium have seats on top so you can see the game -- FROM THE BAR! We only stopped by 1 bar and tried a good local beer - 312.

Millenium Park - Very beautiful green space, interesting water features and fountains, and THE BEAN! Really really nice.

John Hancock Tower - we went up to the observatory first (on the 94th floor) but I'd recommend you save your money and use it on drinks at the Signature Lounge on the 96th floor. Great views of the city, tasty cocktails... and the elevator ride up is only 40 seconds! Worth facing my fear of heights for.

City architecture by night Cruise - Like I said before, I'm not too into touristy things, but I've heard so much about the architecture that I had to get past it and go on a tour cruise. We opted for the nighttime one since the city is so much nicer lit up, and it was really cool to learn all about the history of Chicago. My favorite - the Chicago Tribune building.

Side note: They don't call it the windy city for nothin'... BRING PANTS and wear them if you know it's going to be windy. It's no fun trying to walk around the city while trying to keep your skirt from blowing up.

My next trip to Chicago - I don't know when but hopefully sometime soon. Since a lot of time was spent relaxing, next time I'm definitely taking in the nightlife :)

2 comments:

  1. I was just in Chicago two weeks ago. I took in several of the same touristy things you did.

    I visited Millenium park. Sort of like the National Mall if it were updated for the 2000s.

    Hancock Observatory had great views of the city.

    I attended in a game at Wrigley and enjoyed the bars of Wrigleyville afterwards. That area is great. There are probably 25-30 bars on Clark Street just outside the stadium. Healthy mix of local and chains.

    I took the architecture cruise during the day. I'm surprised to hear your favorite was the Sun Times building. Did it light up at night? I thought it was kind of a nondescript 1970s style building. I preferred the 1920s area Wrigley Tower. From the modern I liked the Trump Tower. I probably like all the old wrought iron bridges even more than the buildings.

    Beyond that I didn't do too much. I wanted to stay outside and enjoy the gorgeous weather because I had been cooped up in a conference center and hotel for over a week. The other major things I did where a Whitesox game and renting a bike for a ride along lakeshore drive trails. Amazing all the beaches on the lake across the street from Skyscapers. I've seen that in Florida but never in a northern city...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right about the beaches. It's like Miami - but windier, and on a lake.

    The Tribune tower, not the Sun Times, with the gothic architecture. I like the Wrigley tower - was that the one with the walkway between the 2 buildings? That was awesome. The Trump building is stunning. I can't imagine going to a hotel and staying on the 80th floor though

    ReplyDelete